Thursday, June 25, 2009

Racsim

I believe everyone is equal just because there skin is a different color does not make them any different. I've been called names and teased just because I was Native American. Despite the fact that I have a different skin color and culture, but I am still the same human being. I have the same organs, same color blood, and I was born and raised on this earth. In my vocabulary there is no such word as different.
My names Taylor James I am a Native American from the Menominee Indian Tribe of Wisconsin and here is my story of racism.
It was my third year in volleyball, I was in the ninth grade when we went to a Caucasian school for or first game of the season. When we got to the school I was talking to some of my friends at the school and a bunch of girls come walking in and rolled their eyes at my team I thought nothing of it so when it came time to play I was excited to play my first game. While we were playing I heard some girls in the bleachers yelling "Go back to where you came from". Now I was very angry and I did not have my head in the game I just keep thinking of what that girl was saying over and over. Soon after the game I went to the girls and asked what they wanted, they did not say anything. So what i did was i told there principle. The girls soon learned that we are not any different and apologized to my team and were no longer allowed at any of the games that were against Native American schools.
Those that had read this and that also as been through the same experience don't let anyone tell you that you are different. Because I believe that everyone is equal.

8 comments:

  1. I agree everyone should be equal and don;t be judge by the way the look...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur, I am Filipino and African American and fortunately for me i have not experienced much racism in my life maybe a bit but when people are playin, ya know.

    Just some advice though, your story needs to be extended. Try to describe how you feel more and about what happened after they got kicked out of the team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like your story a lot Because i went through something similar to that and that sucks because your a cool girl and u shouldn't get treated like that. it was a really good story and i hope you haven't got called names since then

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's interesting that the girls would shout, "Go back to where you came from" considering you are Native American? Where do they expect you to go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. that sucks that you had to go through that. it's really stupid that people are very close minded and really don't care about how others feel. im glad that they had to suffer consequences for their actions and i completely agree with you. people are all equal and deserve to be treated the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is very sad that people would stoop that low and talk that way about a person they don't even know. Just remember to ignore them and don't even bother commenting back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I commend you on being strong through that tough time because racism is a painful thing. I have experience racism myself as a black young woman and its SAD that it still exist till this day

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so messed up. Have those girls never been picked on. Its about time they get made fun of a taste of there own medicine. At least you got the last laugh.

    ReplyDelete