Thursday, July 2, 2009

Discourse/discourse

From my mind and my words I believe that Gee is telling you if you be something like get a good job or go to college you need to have the right attitude and proper clothing and good eye contact etc. Now I agree with what Gee is saying, because I myself has been through the same thing. "Sophistication is the key to success". But the good thing about it is that you don't always have to be that way just for work. Being something your not for one moment can really change your life in the future.....Think about it!

5 comments:

  1. I'm not this is exactly what Gee is arguing; I think he may be challenging this way of the dominant culture--or at least suggesting that if universities want to expand their population, then they need to expand their own Discourse to allow people of nondominant Discourses in. I don't think he's in support of the dominant culture nor do I believe he's saying that those of the nondominant culture need to change, but, rather, the dominant culture needs to change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read your response and then Ms.D's comment, I agreed with Ms.D because I feel that Dominant discourses are very closed minded and expect this and only this and I feel that they need to think outside the box and that's really hurting the nondominant discourses in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think the article meant that there are certain attitudes used to get jobs and be 'successful', and that the attitude is usually very similar between people, but that it shouldn't have to be that way and ways to get jobs should spread and be diverse, rather than favor those who have the 'right' discourse to get a job

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree with your opinion as well as Ms. D. i think that people should act professional at work, but other than that, live your own life. however, the i feel that the dominate discourse should open its eyes and let different backgrounds in because its almost not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops. My first sentence above should have said "I'm not SURE this is..."

    Also, I know my profile says "Ms. D." but you can call me Amy. :)

    ReplyDelete